The best powered hand tool you can have besides a drill is the Dremel 4000 High Performance Rotary Tool. I have used Dremel rotary tools on all kinds of projects ranging from removing the grout from bathroom tiles (you don’t want to do that by hand), to cutting perfect round circles of varying sizes in plywood. It drills, cuts, grinds. It can be used as a miniature drop router.
If you do any kind of repairs around the house, then you MUST have a Dremel 4000.
There are probably over a hundred attachments for the Dremel 4000 and several different kit options with carrying case and good assortment of Dremel tool accessories. Dremel power tools come with an assortment of grinding, cutting and drilling bits. Plus the drop router attachment and circle cutting attachment. Most sellers such as Lowes and Home Depot have large collections of attachments for special purpose jobs.
Examples of what I’ve used the Dremel 4000 for.
- Grout removal. If you ever have to regrout the bathroom shower, the worst part of the job is getting all the old cracked grout out from between the tiles. That stuff is literally like cement, and the old slow way is to use a special grinding file and slowly file back and forth until the grout is removed. It sucks. The Dremel Grout attachment screws onto the end of the Dremel 4000 and holds a diamond tip grinding bit at about a 30 degree angle just deep enough to get the grout out. You just slowly drag it along the grout line. That’s it! If you are doing a lot of tile, be sure to buy extra diamond bits.
- Cutting wheels are really great too. I’ve used these to cut off thin pieces of sheet metal, cut the nut off a rusted bolt, and much more.
- The router attachment lets you control the depth of the router bit and easily cut in decorative patterns on wood, plastic, glass and softer metals.
- You can turn it into a drill press that takes up hardly any more space than an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper, or you can put a flexible shaft to on it to get into even tighter spaces.
Dremel 4000 High Performance Rotary Tool Specifications
- High-performance motor for maximum performance at all speeds
- Electronic feedback for consistent speed under load
- Variable speed provides maximum control and precision
- Separate on/off switch and speed control dial for the perfect speed every time
- Can be used with all Dremel rotary tool attachments and accessories
- Quick collet lock for fast accessory changes
- Cool-running ball bearing construction for smooth and quiet operation
- Replaceable motor brushes extend tool life
- Two year warranty